Sunday 26 May 2013

Tutorial: How to get Big Glamorous Hair

Hi Pretties,

One of the things I get asked the most and stopped often in shops for is how I get my hair so big, whether you love it or loathe it, but it surely gets your attention.

I know big hair isn't for everyone, and just as a little side note, I've worn my hair big and teased for years, way before Jerseylicious became popular, I guess you could refer to me as the South-African version of Jersey {although I've heard that not everyone looks like that in New Jersey so no pun intended}.

Like I said, this hairstyle isn't for everyone, you need confidence and attitude to pull it off as you will get attention!  I don't really care what people think of it, whether you like it or not, it's not going to change my opinion on it, and I've heard it all, a client once referred to me as "the girl with the big hair" LoL, I don't mind it, thank God we all have different tastes and styles right, otherwise the world would be rather boring.  So if you do love having BIG and glamorous hair, here's all my tips and how-to's.  This isn't the healthiest thing to do to your hair but truthfully neither is blow drying, straightening and colouring, so the best thing to do is try and put back as much goodness as you can by regularly using treatments and always using an intense conditioner, heat protectant spray and serum.
What you will need:
 
Velcro rollers (large sizes)
Bobby Pins - to secure the rollers
Brush
Teasing Comb
Hairspray, I prefer the orange one from Perfect Touch, it's my holy grail hairspray!
Serum
STEP 1:
 
I just blow dryed it straight with a big round brush, then using various large size rollers rolled the top section of my hair and heated them up with my blow dryer with a spritz of hairspray on each roller and let it set for a few minutes.  As you can see you'll already have loads of volume in your hair and if you're not a fan of teasing or going too big, you can easily leave your hair like this, with a few spritzes of hairspray you'll have a lovely glam look for day or night without going over the top.
STEP 2:
 
Section off a piece of hair in a kind of square shape just at the crown of your hair.  I don't like teasing all of my hair just the top section which gives more than enough volume.  Split the section of hair in smaller pieces so you end up with a piece of hair that is approx. an inch thick (2 cm).
STEP 3:
 
Take the section of hair as per Step 2, spray hairspray just at the roots of your hair, don't spray higher than approx. 4 cm, taking your teasing comb or any other preferred comb, and tease just at the roots, I don't tease a lot, maybe 3 - 4 strokes, then take your hair dryer and dry that section of hair where you sprayed hair spray for a few seconds.  Using the blow dryer helps set the hairspray and helps so you don't have to tease as much.  Repeat each section the same.
STEP 4:
 
Take your hands and spread the section you've just teased and blow dryed, spreading it evenly and making sure there isn't any gaps or holes.
STEP 5:
 
Like I've mentioned before, I tease only the top square section at the crown of my head, after teasing and blow drying take a brush and lightly brush over the teased area to smooth it out, make sure there isn't any gaps or holes.  What I do after this step normally is take my hand and brush through it all with my hand, creating a shape I'm happy with, then I also lightly tease the right side of my hair as I do have loads of volume on the left (my fringe is that side).
 
This step takes practise, there is no set shape that suits everyone or that everyone likes, some people might prefer more of a bump like they had in the 50's, or more of a side swept area and just a little piece that is back-combed, it'll take a few tries for you to figure out what you like most and what suits you.
STEP 6:
 
Once you're happy with the look and shape of it, spray, spray ... and spray some more!  I use my hand to kind of press my hair up for a bit more volume, but you'll figure out what you like once you've played around a bit.
STEP 7:
 
Almost finished!  Take the bottom of your hair and lightly brush it out so your hair falls nicely and still looks soft and touchable {although you've just sprayed the living daylights out of it LoL} it's just a matter of illusion that's all ;)
And there you have it!  Lovely big glamorous hair ...
 
This truly isn't difficult to do whatsoever, the tricky part is figuring out which shape is the most flattering to your face shape and style/taste, which will only come with practise.
 
What I love about this hairstyle is that it stays voluminous for days afterwards, I never comb it out, all you're going to do is break off your hair and that's not cute and it's unnecessary.
 
I hope you'll give my tips and tricks a try, and let me know if you do, I'd love to see some pics!



27 comments:

  1. I love this but I dont think I'd suit my hair like this :( yoy look FAB though! Xx

    Www.poptartsandsexx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial hun!!! So in love with your hair!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I have really flat hair (which receives my constant loathing) but I think I should give this a try and see how it turns out. You certainly made it a lot easier to understand because I thought it took you a lot longer to do your hair! Thank-you (:

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you! You should def give it a try, I promise you it works wonders: section, hairspray, tease + quick blowdry and voila :-) let me know how it works for you babe! x x

      Delete
  4. Aweseome tutorial. :) I hardly tease my hair, but when I do I can never get it big and it always ends up falling flat no matter how much hair spray I use :( Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, for natural volume (without teasing) the curlers work amazing. The type of hairspray makes a HUGE difference, the orange perfect touch is the best ~ and I've tried loads :-) x x

      Delete
  5. I love your hair <3 I can never get mine to stay 'big' at the back. Hmmph :( xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have like the best hair Beth! But I promise you if you do the spray, tease and blow-dry bit it'll stay, I'm not sure if this hairspray is available in the UK but honestly I'm in love with your hair :-) x x

      Delete
  6. This is such a great post bbe! Have you done a youtube tutorial? I am thinking of setting one up! Following you now! xx www.livelifeluscious.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much lovely - ohhh noo I'm too scared and doubt people will understand my accent ;) x x

      Delete
  7. Love this - you are honestly stunning! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hair is healthy and gorgeous! I wish I had hair like that! Great tutorial.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim :) but your hair is gorgeous though!! x x

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the tutorial! Finally, I always admire your voluminous hair, mine is so thin and flat, but I'll definitely try some of your tricks!
    Rushda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hie hie you're welcome lovely! I promise you if you do it exactly as I've explained, it's volume guaranteed :-) x x

      Delete
  10. Great tutorial hun I don't usually tease my hair always to afraid to damage it ,I use to love my hair super straight like straight but now I'm loving a little curls and volume .

    Meghan Silva's Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely not the healthiest thing to do babe, me too, I've worn my hair sleek and straight forever, but especially for winter I love it a bit curly and messy. x x

      Delete
  11. i sooooo lOVE THIS! hopefully i can do this once my hair gets longer!

    xo's

    -teeney
    http://christeeney.blogspot.com
    instagram: @christeeney

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your hair is great! You should do youtube videos! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you eekkk I don't think I could do that but thanks anyway ;)

      Delete
  13. I really loved it! Thanks for this suggestion at least I can try to do easy hairstyle. It is really great for almost any occasion. You can also try eindianhair reviews for other styles and trends.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment and for reading my blog ~ I truly appreciate it! You can also email me if you have a specific question or comment {dressedinthecity@yahoo.co.za} <3 <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...