Sunday 24 February 2013

{Foundation War} Best MAC Dupe/Alternative



Hi Beauties,

I hope you all had an amazing weekend?

So you may (or may not) have seen my post Beautiful at What Cost?  I used to be the biggest MAC fan, actually addict to be be completely honest, for the longest of time.  After I posted about my views on animal testing and made the decision to use only cruelty free products, I have to admit that the biggest sacrifice I had to make was giving up on a foundation that worked well for me.  I almost immediately went onto a search to find a replacement for the MAC Studio Fix fluid, now unfortunately I wasn't blessed with perfect skin, my skin is alright, but I have freckles, pigmentation marks, acne scarring and I'm still struggling with the occasional bout of adult acne/break-outs.

Suffice to say I need a foundation that will do a proper job at not only hiding these flaws, but also giving me the perfect finish.  Foundation in my eyes is the most important cosmetic product in my bag, think of your face as a canvas, and foundation primes your face so you can create the perfect picture with eyeshadows, blushes etc.

I tried and tested 3 products, some days were awful especially when I used a product that just didn't work well for me, but I'm happy to report that indeed I found the perfect match :-)
Woolworths Face Longwear Max Cover Foundation SPF24 in Ivory (R109.00) - 30ml:
 
The consultant "matched" this for me in store, she only used my chin area, and when I tried this at home, I realised that the shade was at least 1 - 2 shades too dark for me, it also has a very orange undertone, so needless to say I ended up looking like I was wearing a mask.  The consistency is really lovely with a satin texture, it dries really fast but with an oily finish.  I have combination skin (normal cheeks with oily t-zone), I waited a while to see if it would go more matte, but unfortunately it didn't, I had to use quite a lot of powder to set it, but generally this foundation was just too oily for my skin.  However, I do think this would be really great for someone with normal to dry skin.
 
PROS:
 
~  Cruelty Free
~  No harsh ingredients and approved by a toxicologist
~  Excellent Coverage
~  It truly is a longwearing foundation and lasted until I removed it at night
~  Love the packing and the squeeze tube which helps to use foundation to almost the last drop
~  Good value for money
 
CONS:
 
~  Consultant did not match my skintone so the foundation was 1 - 2 shades too dark
~  The finish is too oily for combination skin, even with using copious amounts of powder to try and set it
 
Overall:
 
Although it's a really good product for someone with a different skin type as me, it just didn't give me that flawless and beautiful finish I like.
 
Stila Stay all Day Foundation & Concealer in Beige 4 (R395.00) - 30ml:
 
Last year Stila products finally came to South-Africa, and I'm quite ashamed to say that it's taken me this long to try one of their products ;) and I thought what better one to pick than a foundation right.  Needless to say, I had slight heart palpitations at the price of this LoL, and I thought long and hard before I bought this, read so many online reviews and finally gave in.  I also reckoned that with it containing the foundation and concealer ultimately I'm getting two products for the price of one.  I had such high hopes and expectations, when I invest a foundation that is rather expensive, I need it to work like a charm.  Again, the consultant "matched" my skintone, it wasn't 100 % and at least 1 shade too dark for my skintone.  Which is so disappointing, what I also feel these companies are missing is giving samples to clients especially on products that are more costly. 
 
The foundation offers medium coverage, but I don't like the applicator at all, it's very fussy and messes foundation, so when you screw the bottle back on, it oozes out on the side.  The texture of the foundation I found really amazing, it's a mousse-like texture, which feels very light, it rubs into the skin easily and has a very satin like finish.  It doesn't dry matte, but instead of having an oily appearance it has more of a glowy finish.  If you like the dewy look, you might want to give this foundation a try.

PROS:
 
~ Cruelty Free
~ Buildable coverage
~ Full coverage concealer works really well to hide under eye circles and general blemishes (very creamy)
 
CONS:
 
~ It's expensive!
~ Fussy and messy applicator/lid
~ Does not dry matte but leaves a dewy look
~ The consultant did not match my skin very well, so I have an expensive foundation a shade or two too dark
 
Overall:
 
If this was in the right shade and dried into a matte finish, I'd probably invest a foundation like this for special occasion, if you do like a dewy look and have the funds, this product may work very well for you.
 
Gosh X-Ceptional Wear Long Lasting Make-Up Light Reflecting in 12 Natural (R140.00)* - 35ml:
 
Gosh products is another cosmetic line that hit our shores last year, I must admit that I was very sceptic about trying this foundation as I've been trying two products that just didn't work, and I honestly started questioning whether I'll be able to find a dupe/alternative for the MAC one, but I am so happy to let you know that this little beauty pleasantly surprised me, and we're now BFF's!
 
So here is all the information you want to know about the winner of the best dupe/alternative for MAC Studio Fix!
 
Although the lovely people from Gosh hadn't seen me in person, they managed to perfectly match my skintone!  In MAC I used to be NW20, which was still slightly too dark for me, there just wasn't a perfect shade for my skintone, 12 Natural is the best shade that perfectly matches me.
 
The foundation has a very liquid substance, I use my Sigma Flat Kabuki brush to tap and blend it into my skin, almost immediately it dries into a gorgeous matte finish, but here's the best bit, it doesn't make my skin look dry, it's the perfect balance between matte and glowy (without looking shiny) - Yes indeed, I never knew this was possible.  It only offers medium coverage, but is totally buildable and I use two layers just on my cheek area, it still looks very natural and skin still shows through, so don't be worried that you'll have the caked-on look.  I don't need to use a powder due to the finish, so I just lightly dust on a thin layer to set it all.  My skin looks amazing and other people have noticed the difference too.

PROS:
 
~ Cruelty Free
~ Affordable and you get 5ml's more than the above two foundations
~ Beautiful matte but glowy finish
~ Medium Coverage but buildable
~ Natural looking but hiding all your flaws and blemishes
~ Stays put for 12 hours+
~ Love the packaging and the squeeze bottle ensure that you'll use the foundation until the last drop
 
CONS:
 
Nothing!  There is not one thing I dislike about this product, and I think it is clear why this has been my pick of them all.
 
Overall:
 
After nearly giving up that I'd find a foundation that gave me exactly what I wanted, this gem fell on my table (well not literally but you get my drift hehe).
 
Have you tried any of these foundations and what were your thoughts?



27 comments:

  1. I'd love to try the Stila one.

    Great post! I'm always on the lookout for new foundations.

    http://www.tea-and-cocktails.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would highly suggest the Stila one if you have dry to normal skin and not a strict budget ;) x x

      Delete
    2. Tara, I am too:) I really love PS Beauty foundation finder, it helps to narrow down your shopping list to things you are actually likely to like:) http://www.beauty.ps/tool/foundation It basically takes into consideration formulas and colours you have used previously and tells you what foundations will be suitable for you.. I now use it all the time cause I'm tired of getting foundations that don't suit me, give it a go:)

      Delete
    3. What an awesome link, thanks for sharing :)

      Delete
  2. Where did you pick up the GOSH babe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find them at Edgars and Red Square doll ~ Visit their counters for a consultation so they can match you and try all the lovely goodies on you! x x

      Delete
    2. You can see I dont shop for make-up much! thats why i love your blog! you make my shopping trips so much easier and less stressful ;o)

      Will pop in there this weekend and check it out!

      Delete
  3. I'm on the search for the perfect foundation at the moment. I have dry/combination skin that's super fair with pink undertones. Everything is always too dark or too yellow, or the formula is bad and it cakes on. Glad you found yyour perfect foundation! Hopefully I'll find mine soon. :)

    Danielle

    http://kalamityjanekosmetics.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely, most of these foundations have a yellow undertone to them, have you perhaps tried a good primer to even it out? For your skintype I'd say the Gosh or Stila should work well, depending what finish you want? Let me know when you find your foundation *fingers crossed* I know it gets rather annoying after a while of searching. x x x

      Delete
  4. Love this post! I learnt so much. I have been loving Stila products to the max. I have not used Gosh products yet. For the price of that foundation, Gosh is definitely a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that makes me so happy to hear babe :-) I need to try the other Stila products, their lipglosses look so pretty. Please do, they have a range from haircare, skincare and cosmetics! Literally everything a woman needs to feel and look good x x

      Delete
  5. Wow amazing reviews honey! I hate it when they match you wrongly.. or when they blend it on you and say "it's perfect" when you can see yourself that it really isn't!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! Especially when it's quite expensive, I'm like what am I supposed to do with it now LoL? That's why samples go a long way don't you agree ;) x

      Delete
  6. Hello dear :) nice blog and cute post! great review :) now follow you with pleasure!

    http://teanonsolomoda.blogspot.it/

    Kiss Tea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow thanks for the review girl! and ur adorable comments on my blog! big hug!! love ur twitter updates :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome lovely :-) hehe you're so welcome! I truly love your blog and you, you're so sweet, and we're very similar in a lot of ways. Much Love xo

      Delete
  8. lovely post as usual :) Im keen to try Stila & Gosh foundation.

    xoxo
    Brett

    www.fashionbybrettrobson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks babe, coming from you it's such a compliment!! PS ~ I adore your new profile pic it's so awesome!!! xoxo

      Delete
  9. Great reviews! I think we have the same skin type so was useful for me!

    Love
    Zoe x

    Www.facevaluebeautyblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. mrs D. Williams25 March 2013 at 10:37

    I have used woolworths longwear foundation colour Warm for years and now they have changed the supplier and the colour is not the same very upset with woolworths as i now have to start all over and find another fouyndation, not a happy customer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no I'm so sorry to hear! I hope the woolies team is reading this, this was the first time trying for me so I cannot comment on the change. Hope you find another foundation, let me know if you need any help! x x

      Delete
  11. Great review! I love MAC foundation but was looking for an cheaper alternative for my MAC studio fix powder foundation. For some reason the liquid NC37 is a perfect match, but the powder in NC40 (which doesn't come in NC37) is off in terms of tone. Any suggestions on a dupe?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm trying to go cruelty free now after really becoming aware of the issue and being shocked at the number of popular brands that support cruelty. I had the perfect concealer and foundation in MAC and have been on a mission to find a cruelty free match. Not easy finding a good match in darker shades and for oily skin, but I'm going to try the ones you've suggested! Thanks for sharing your experiences :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment and for reading my blog ~ I truly appreciate it! You can also email me if you have a specific question or comment {dressedinthecity@yahoo.co.za} <3 <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...