Monday 27 April 2015

MAC Prep & Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

Hi Beauts,

I'm not heavily into the contoured look, but I do love using a lighter concealer as explained here with a slight contour, but not anything like those crazy pics you'll find on pinterest.  I've been wanting the MAC emphasize powder for ages, but MAC South Africa doesn't seem to carry it here, what a shame, as it's such a popular under eye setting powder that helps lift the area.  So I asked the girl at the counter which product she'll recommend instead of emphasize, and she recommended this one.


I had such high hopes for this powder, and I've read quite a few reviews and people rave about this, which has left me baffled because I don't get this product.

Okay let me start from the beginning, this is a very fine translucent powder, which mattifies your skin.  I have some under eye wrinkles and dark circles, and the MAC Pro Longwear covers these perfectly.  I let the product set, and then I used this translucent powder over it - the weirdest thing then happens.  It's as if the powder brings back the dark circles and makes my under eye appear very dry, although I've properly hydrated this before application.  I've tried this all over my face, and since I've always struggled with acne, I do have some scarring and pigmentation left.  Although I use the MAC Studio Fix or Garnier BB cream, I don't go for a caked look so it's still full coverage but you'll still see some skin coming through.  When I use the powder over the completely dried foundation/bb cream, the powder makes any blemishes appear more prominent, it's so weird, it doesn't take away the foundation/bb cream but it's as if it enhances the problems underneath it.

That's why I said it's completely strange, and it seems like no one else have experienced this before. Needless to say, this powder is a complete fail for me, yes, it leaves my skin with a satin finish which feels very smooth, but frankly that doesn't sell it for me, and basically is a complete fail which really is disappointing.  Perhaps this is meant for youthful perfect skin?  I really don't know.  I don't think I've ever found a MAC product I don't like, as I basically love everything they do so this perhaps was long overdue.

I have to mention this brush, it's the Clicks Blusher Brush, and I love their brushes!  I have a big kabuki one, then a powder brush and this one.  The bristles are baby soft and they're so affordable. They've really done a good job on this brush line.

Let me know if you've tried this powder before and what your experience was?

4 comments:

  1. I haven't tried any of these yet - but definitely have my eye on that powder

    Candice | Beauty Candy Loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have a better experience with it - most people do seem to like it :)

      Delete
  2. I use MAC's Prep and Prime powder every single day and I love it. However I use a massive powder brush to apply it and apply in circular motions and only dust it over my t-zone never my full face. It works wonders for me so it is really strange to hear the effect that it has on you.

    XoXo One Stiletto At A Time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried it your way doll, have to say just on my t-zone (which doesn't have many flaws) it does work better, but unfortunately for me it's just not great. You're welcome to have mine if you'd like? Just let me know :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment and for reading my blog ~ I truly appreciate it! You can also email me if you have a specific question or comment {dressedinthecity@yahoo.co.za} <3 <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...